Skelmanthorpe Local Board

Skelmanthorpe Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Skelmanthorpe and was formed prior to March 1863.

Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.

Skelmanthorpe Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and superseded by Skelmanthorpe Urban District Council.

Skelmanthorpe Local Board

Categories

Local Boards
This page was last modified on 15 January 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed