Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
High Hoyland is a small township and parish, about 6 miles north from Penistone, and 5½ north-west from Barnsley. The parish church, which stands a little above the village, is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mary ; the living is a rectory, in the gift of T.W. Beaumont, Esq. In this parish is Skelmanthorpe, a populous township; many of the inhabitants are occupied in different branches of the woollen trade. The population of the parish, in 1831, was 1,118, of which number 231 were returned for High Hoyland township.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
SKELMANTHORPE, a hamlet, in the township of Cumberworth, parishes of High Hoyland and Emley, union of Huddersfield, wapentake of Staincross and Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Huddersfield; containing 1420 inhabitants. It comprises about 1430 acres of profitable land; the substratum contains freestone of excellent quality, and some coal. The inhabitants are partly employed in the manufacture of worsted and silk goods, for which there are several mills, and in the weaving of fancy waistcoatings. A fair for cattle and pigs is held at Michaelmas. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On the inclosure of Cumberworth common, seven acres were allotted to this hamlet, now producing £10. 10. per annum, of which £6 are paid to a schoolmaster, and the remainder distributed among the poor.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
SKELMANTHORPE, a village in Emley and High Hoyland parishes, W. R. Yorkshire; 6 miles SE by E of Huddersfield. It has a post-office under Huddersfield, and two Methodist chapels; and carries on a considerable fancy trade.