Show Boat (1956) - Huddersfield and District Amateur Light Opera Society
Oscar Hammerstein and Jerome Kern's Show Boat was the Huddersfield & District Amateur Light Opera Society's 1956 production.
It was performed at the Theatre Royal, Huddersfield, from Monday 30 January to Saturday 4 February 1956.
The brochure was kindly loaned to be digitised by Andrew Gates.
- R. D'Arcy Richards — producer
- Harry Gledhill — musical director
- Cyril Ware — stage manager
- Annie Smith — accompanist
- Marie Habron — dancing mistress
- Beryl P. Ellam — Magnolia
- Norman Royston — Gaylord Ravenal
- Constance M. Holmes — Parthy Ann Hawks
- Eric Walker — Captain Andy
- Norman Moore — Frank
- Doreen France — Ellie
- Jessie Martindale — Julie
- Jack Liversidge — Steve
- Arthur Turton — Joe
- Edith Moorhouse — Queenie
- Leonard Kitching — Max
- Brenda Tarpey — Kim
- Geoffrey S. Ware — Jake
- Gordon Pike — Windy
- George W. Cunnington — Backwoodsman
- Leslie Sunderland — Backwoodsman
- Jean M. Armitage — Landlady
- Hiram Cartwright — Rubber Face
- Victor Cocking — Pete
- Edgar Woffenden — Vallon
- Douglas Beverley — Barker
- Leonard Fisher — Barker
- Maureen Livesey — Le Belle Fatima
- Shirley M. Drake — Ethel
- Jill Furness — Lottie
- Ladies — Joan Brook, Lesley M. Dawson, Sheila C. Dawson, Marie R. Donaldson, Shirley M. Drake, Ann Fairburn, Mary Firth, Jill Furness, Phyllis B. Sunderland, Brenda Tarpey, Audrey Weatherhead.
- Gentlemen — Douglas Beverley, G. Derrick Booth, Terence Brearley, Leslie Clarke, Victor Cocking, John B. Danford, J. Leonard Fisher, L. Adrian Gledhill, Frank Lamb, Arthur J. Monday, Gordon Pike, Leslie Sunderland, Edgar Woffenden.
- Ladies — Joan C. Bather, Jean M. Ginty, Jeanne Haywood, Brenda Hellawell, Mary Kinloch, Maureen Livesey, Joyce Melia, Patricia Thompson.
- Ladies — Jean M. Armitage, Pamela Butterworth, Monica G. M. Cook, E. Joy Halliwell, Jean Jackson, Theresa A. Lewthwaite, Barbara Stanley, Judith Thornton.
- Gentlemen — Roy Bates, George W. Cunnington, G. Hildred Gledhill, Geoffrey N. Sykes, Stanley F. Taylor, Kenneth H. Ware.
- Ladies — Janet Barr, Jean Catton, Katherine M. Clarke, Margaret Gannon, Norma Glover, Joan Hellawell, Jean Makin, Maureen Sheard.
The following local businesses placed adverts in the brochure:
- Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank
- George Hall (women's clothing & hats) of 18 Market Street & 19 Cloth Hall Street
- Tom Blackburn (florist) of 85 King Street
- Pack Horse Hotel on Kirkgate
- The Glow Coal Co. Ltd off St. John's Road
- Radio Equipment of New Street
- Kayes Drapers Ltd. of 9-11 King Street
- Thomas Kaye & Sons (materials & furnishing fabrics) of 21-23 King Street
- John Mollett Ltd. of John William Street
- C.C. Barnes Ltd. (carpets) of 74 & 74a John William Street
- Shaw & Hallas Ltd. (footwear) of John William Street
- Fillans & Sons Ltd. (jewellers) of Market Walk
- Heywoods (drapers & furnishers) of Market Street
- Armitage & Sons (seeds) of 7 New Street
- N. Hopkinson (china & hardware merchant) of Aspley
- White Swan Hotel on Kirkgate
- Kenneth Levell Ltd. (electrical & household goods) of Market Street
- Ben Shaws (soft drinks) of Willow Lane
- Taylor & Hobson Ltd. (furnishing specialist) of 9 King's Head Arcade & 17 Cloth Hall Street
- Westwood Hirst & Co. (gentlemen's outfitters) of 34 Buxton Road
- G. Clare (draught proofing) of 1 Blackmoorfoot Road
- Vera Moore (hair stylist) of Imperial Arcade
- Holroyds (dyers, cleaners & launderers)
- Greenwoods (knitwear & crafting) of 13-17a Victoria Street
- Miss Kerfoot (dressmaker) of 20-21 Lion Chambers
- Irvin Brook (fur specialist) of 17 new North Road
- A.G. Boyes & Co. Ltd. of East Parade
- Whitley's of Westgate