Shoulder of Mutton Inn, Meltham Road, Lockwood
- appears on maps: 1890 [#815]
- location: set back from Meltham Road (now on Neale Road), Lockwood
- status: still exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
The inn was in existence by 1771 when widow Grace Arlom was named as the licensee, although its name was not recorded as the Shoulder of Mutton until the 1803 License Register.
It is highly likely the original access to the inn was via Swan Lane, as the 1890 Town Plan shows that the Shoulder of Mutton Yard was to the south-east of the property. The construction of the Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike Road (now Meltham Road) circa 1819 perhaps led to the yard being opened up to connect to the new road, which would help explain why the inn is unusually set so far back from the main road.
The building of the turnpike road also led to the Shoulder of Mutton Inn in Meltham being renamed to the Swan Inn, presumably as the owner felt that there being two inns with the same name on the same turnpike road might lead to confusion.
The premises was rebuilt in 1926.
The property may have been closed by the early 1970s and needed to be re-licensed, as the current signage notes that it was "Est. 1975" which was the year it was taken over by John and Candy Duval.
Landlords, Publicans and Licensees
- widow Grace Arlom — 1771 Alehouse Licence Register
- William Arlom — 1777 Alehouse Licence Register
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
One of Lockwood’s oldest pubs, dating back prior 1771 in which year Grace Arlom, widow, was licensee. The original building was a farmhouse, a small field in front reaching down to the rough track that was to become Meltham Road. Well into the last century, as houses were built around the pub, the area became known as Arlom's Fold. The Arlom family had moved into Lockwood, from Almondbury, in 1660, so, although no evidence has been found, they may well have kept a beerhouse long before 1771. The house remained in private ownership until taken over by Bentley & Shaw in 1893. The present building was erected in 1864 and the pub is still in existence, becoming a Free House in October 1979, and now specialising in Taylors, Tetleys and Bass ales from traditional hand pumps.