The premises was in existence as early as 1803 when George Dodson was named as the licensee.
CHURCH STREET. Slaithwaite. Shoulder of Mutton. Late C18/early C19. Hammer dressed stone,part rendered. Double pitched stone slate roof. Two storeys. South elevation is rendered and has: ground floor; central doorway. Two 5-light stone mullioned windows. One single light (possibly later). First floor; one 2-light stone mullioned window; one 3-light stone mullioned window; two 4-light stone mullioned windows. North elevation: back-to-earth NE corner of later origin. First floor; three 3-light stone mullioned windows (recessed).