Shoulder of Mutton, Holmfirth Road, New Mill, Fulstone

This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • location: Holmfirth Road, New Mill
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

The inn was in existence by the 1840s and is shown on the first O.S. map.

Following the Brewster Sessions of 1938, the premises was referred to Compensation Authority. It closed on 31 December 1938 and compensation of £1,551 was awarded.[1]

The former inn had been demolished by the early 1960s.

Landlords & Licensees

Dates shown in parentheses are when they took over the licence:

  • Mark William Swann (by 1879)
  • Joah Swallow (02/Dec/1879)
  • Butterworth Wood (03/Oct/1882)
  • Arthur Carter (28/Apr/1885)
  • Thomas Woodhouse (25/Sep/1888)
  • Wilson Bower (14/Mar/1899)
  • Sam Booth (12/Mar/1901)
  • Henry Battye (10/Sep/1901)
  • Hiram Hirst (27/Jan/1903 until death)
  • John Francis Sanderson (01/Jun/1920 until death)
  • Hannah Sanderson (08/Jun/1922 until closure)[2]


    Loading... ::::::omeka tag Shoulder of Mutton (New Mill):::


Notes and References

  1. The other premises to be reffered were: Victoria Inn (Linthwaite), Travellers Rest (Kirkburton) and Red Lion (Lepton).
  2. Hannah was the widow of John Francis. She married Fred England towards the end of 1922.