Shore Head Hotel, Shore Head, Huddersfield
- also known as: Duke of York Inn (1851 Town Plan)
- appears on maps: 1851 [#111], 1890 [#1129]
- location on map: Shore Head, Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
The landlord in the early 1860s was Thomas "Big Tom" Edon (aged 45), who moved to the Huddersfield from the Manchester area. When he died in January 1864, he weighed 31 stones and his coffin had to be lowered out of the bedroom window in the early hours of the morning. Between 1,500 and 2,000 attended the funeral and the police were in attendance "to preserve the order". The Huddersfield Chronicle noted that people would visit the inn just to marvel at his enormous size. His sister weighed 17 stones and his son weighed 17 stones.
Huddersfield Police Court
- 23/Nov/1852 — landlord Joseph Ibberson charged with assaulting Charles Stancliffe of Kirkheaton (fined 5s. plus expenses)
Notes and References
- "Sudden Death of a 'Great' Man" in Huddersfield Chronicle (09/Jan/1864).