Shepley Urban District
The Shepley Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Shepley Local Board.
The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
At the first meeting, which was held in January 1895, Thomas Holden was elected as the chairman and Benjamin Albert Hey as vice-chairman.
Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Penistone Parliamentary Division.
Shepley Urban District Council was abolished on 1 April 1938 and the area added to enlarged Kirkburton Urban District.
The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):
Notes and References
- ↑ "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).