Shepley Local Board

Huddersfield Chronicle (17/Mar/1860)

Shepley Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Shepley and was formed on 2 April 1860 with an initial membership of 9.

Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.

Shepley Local Board was abolished at the end of 1894 and superseded by Shepley Urban District Council.