Shepley is a village situated 8 miles southeast of Huddersfield.
The place name meant "sheep wood" or "sheep clearing" from the Anglian "scep" (sheep) and the Old English "leah" (forest, wood, glade, clearing, pasture or meadow).
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Shelley and Shepley are townships, and High Burton is a hamlet, all in the parish of Kirk-Burton, the same manufactures prevail throughout, and at High Burton several of the inhabitants are occupied in the making of edge tools. Population of Shelley about 1,400, and of Shepley nearly 1,000.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
SHEPLEY, a township, in the parish of KirkBurton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. E. by S.) from Huddersfield; containing 1088 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1250 acres of land; and the village, sometimes called Over and Nether Shepley, is situated in a deep valley, on the road from Huddersfield to Penistone. The population is engaged in the manufacture of cloth-blankets, flannel, and knitting-yarn. There is a place of worship for Methodists of the New Connexion.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
SHEPLEY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, 6 miles SE by S of Huddersfield. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Huddersfield. Acres, 1,250. Real property, £3,504. Pop. in 1851, 1,200; in 1861, 1,432. Houses, 286. The property is much subdivided. Hall-Royd House is the residence of Mr. S. Armitage. There are several woollen manufactures. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church was built in 1848. There are a New Connexion Methodist chapel and a British school.
The extent of the Civil Parish of Shepley (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.
- The History and Topography of the Parish of Kirkburton and of the Graveship of Holme (1861) — Township of Shepley