Shepherds Boy, Hinchliffe Mill, Austonley
The Shepherds Boy beerhouse appears to have co-existed at the same time as the Shepherds Boy beerhouse on Greenfield Road (also in the Township of Austonley), with Rachel Goddard recorded as a "beer seller" in the 1871 Census. It was possibly opened in October 1868.
The exact location of the beerhouse remains uncertain, but the census returns of 1871, 1881 and 1891 suggest it was somewhere in the general area of the junctions of Woodhead Road, Fairfields Road and Yew Tree Lane — if so, this places it in the vicinity of the New Inn (later known as the Shepherds Rest).
Howard Hinchliffe became the licensee on 5 November 1901.
The beerhouse's licence renewal was refused by the local magistrates in March 1911 and referred to the Compensation Authority. The latter confirmed the refusal in June and the licence expired on 23 December 1911. Compensation of £400 was awarded for the closure.
Notes and References
- The Alehouse Register contains a pencil note "Oct 20/68" in the "Transferee, New Tenant, or Occupier" column.
- The ownership of the premises appears to been transferred from Rachel Goddard to her son-in-law, plasterer Henry (or Harry) Haigh.
- "Doomed Public Houses" in Leeds Mercury (31/May/1911).
- The other local pub to be closed at the same time was the Wellington Inn (Upperthong).