Shelley Urban District

The Shelley Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Shelley Local Board.

The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.

Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Penistone Parliamentary Division.[1]

Shelley Urban District Council was abolished on 1 April 1938 and the area added to enlarged Kirkburton Urban District.

Boundary

The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):

Notes and References

  1. "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).