Shelley (hamlet)

The hamlet of Shelley was one of the two hamlets within the Township of Shelley, the other being Shelley Lane End. The hamlet was part of the Manor of Wakefield.

Situated within the hamlet were the habitations of Healey, Shelley, Shelley Bank Bottom, Shelley Hill Top, Shelley Woodhouse, and Town End.

Boundary

The boundaries of the two hamlets (as marked on the 1854 O.S. map) are shown below, together with the adjoining hamlets and townships:

Hamlets in Shelley (c.1850).svg

The boundary of the hamlet of Shelley (compiled from the 1854 Ordnance Survey map) is shown below in red, with the remainder of the township of Shelley (which was the hamlet of Shelley Lane End) shaded in green.