Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Goole Railway
The Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Wakefield, Huddersfield & Goole Railway Company (SRBWH&GR) was incorporated on 7 August 1846 with a share capital of £800,000. The scheme aimed to open access to the coalfields of South Yorkshire and to create new junctions with several existing (or proposed) lines.
The connection to Huddersfield was to be at a new junction to the east of Penistone which provided access to the Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway (H&SJR) via Penistone Station.
The section from Barnsley to Horbury — where a junction was formed with the earlier Manchester & Leeds Railway (M&LR) — was declared "fit for use" in December 1849. This section was amalgamated into the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (L&YR) on 2 August 1858 and is still in use.