Huddersfield first Co-operative Society was formed at the inn in 1860, with a membership of thirteen people. The inn closed in 1909.
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Old Leeds Road.
This was the way that the Birstall to Huddersfield turnpike road of 1765 entered the town However, there can be little doubt that the road here is much older than the Turnpike Era as the 1716 map of Huddersfield shows it as a lane running between two crofts called Tinker Croft and Hall Croft. In his "Old Huddersfield 1500-1800" Dr. George Redmonds says that in a bye-law of 1690 a Henry Collingwood, who is described in the parish registers as "of Huddersfield Hall", is warned not to hinder or stop the ancient way through his croft called Tinkeler. So, it would appear that the lane was "ancient" in 1690. Dr. Redmonds suggests that a house shown on the 1716 map standing on the western edge of Tinker Croft could be Huddersfield Hall. Certainly, an old half timbered house stood in this area until it was demolished earlier this century. In its later years it had been partitioned and a part of it was used as an inn called The Shears.On the opposite side of the lane from the Hall, in Hall Croft, a row of cottages built between 1601 and 1716 was called the Raw. Subsequently, this became Lowerhead Row a name that continued into the present century and which, presumably, was influenced by Upperhead Row on the top side of the town. From Lowerhead Row the road entered the town by way of the Beast Market but modern buildings and road realignments have obscured the route beyond here.