This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1890 [#811]
- location on map: a triangle of land bounded by Halifax Old Road, Hillhouse Lane & Bradford Road, Birkby
- status: still exists
- category: area
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Before crossing Bradford Road at the lights notice the triangular piece of land on the left, bounded by Halifax Old Road, Hillhouse Lane and Bradford Road. This small area which, in the 1890s, was the site of more than thirty houses, was called Shearing Cross, a name that is now little used.