Sheard Windle (1891-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WINDLE, SHEARD. Ordinary Seaman. No J/75899. Royal Navy. HMS Partridge. Born Kirkheaton 4.8.1891. Son of Harry and Emma Windle, 190 Kilner Bank, Moldgreen, Huddersfield. Educated at Moldgreen Schools. Employed as a fettler by Messrs John Fenton and Sons, Bradley Mills. Husband of Edith Windle, 5 Tindall's Yard, Hawk Street, Huddersfield. Enlisted in the Royal Navy on 15.8.1917. Was drowned in the North Sea on 12.12.1917 when German destroyers raided a British convoy and HMS Partridge was sunk. His body was washed ashore at Cogsheim, Saellijornse, Norway on 21.12.1917. Buried FITJAR CHURCHYARD (which is on a large island south of Bergen, Norway.
- Three other men from Huddersfield were drowned aboard HMS Partridge. They were Ordinary Seaman FRED DRANSFIELD, Able Seaman DONALD HAIGH and Able Seaman WALKER BAMFORTH.
- ROH:- Christ Church, Moldgreen.
- Brother of Private CHARLES WINDLE, killed in action, 15.9.1916, and Gunner WILLIAM WINDLE, killed in action, 7.6.1917, q.v.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Ordinary Seaman SHEARD WINDLE
- regiment: Royal Navy
- died: Wednesday, December 12, 1917
- age: 26 years
- record ID: 472481