Seth Senior and Sons, Limited
Seth Senior & Sons Ltd. were brewers originally based at Highgate Brewery, Shepley.
The brewery was founded by stone mason Seth Senior in 1829, reportedly after borrowing a sovereign to start brewing in his own home at Shepley, which then became the Sovereign Inn.
By 1865, two of Seth's sons, Reuben and James, had joined the business to form Seth Senior and Sons. In turn, Reuben's sons, Henry and Thomas, became partners.
The brewery later expanded and moved a short distance to Piper Wells, off Holmfirth Road.
Their beers included Sovereign Ale, Century Ale and Senior's Stingo.
The firm became a registered company in 1910.
By 1937, the company had an order office in the Queen's Head Yard, King Street, Huddersfield.
The company was acquired by Hammonds United Breweries Ltd. in 1946.
The company owned (or supplied) a sizeable number of public houses in the area, including:
- Bay Horse, Boshaw, Wooldale (now the Algy Arms)
- Bay Horse Inn, Albert Street, Lockwood
- Black Bull Inn, Shepley
- British Oak, Shepley Road, Fulstone
- Clothiers Arms, Netherthong
- Commercial Inn, Austonley
- Commercial Inn, Cumberworth
- Commercial Inn, Netherton
- Commercial Inn, Shelley
- Crown Hotel, Cumberworth
- Elephant and Castle Inn, Holmfirth
- Gas Tavern, Holmfirth, Upperthong
- George & Dragon Inn, Manchester Street, Huddersfield
- Grove Inn, Dalton
- Ivy House Inn, Ivy Street, Crosland Moor
- Isle of Skye Hotel, Upperthong
- Malt Shovel Inn, Shepley
- Masons Arms, Cartworth
- Peacock Inn, Holme
- Plough Inn, Cartworth (later the Ramsden Hotel)
- Prospect Hotel, Cumberworth
- Ramsden Hotel, Cartworth (previously the Plough)
- Queen's Arms, Netherthong
- Railway Hotel, Meltham
- Red Lion Inn, Lockwood Road, Lockwood
- Rose and Crown Hotel, Kirkgate, Huddersfield (demolished 1884)
- Rose and Crown Inn, Thongsbridge, Netherthong
- Rose and Crown Inn, Kirkburton
- Rose and Crown, Meltham
- Royal Albert Hotel, Parkgate, Berry Brow
- Royal Hotel, Bradford Road, Fartown
- Royal Hotel, Kirkburton
- Royal Oak Inn, Netherthong
- Shoulder of Mutton, Fulstone
- Sovereign Inn, Shepley
- Star Inn, Albert Street, Rashcliffe
- Sun Inn, Cross Church Street, Huddersfield
- Swan Inn, Meltham
- Swan Inn, Outlane
- Sycamore Inn, Cumberworth
- Waggon and Horses Inn, Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth
- White Hart Inn, Holmfirth, Wooldale
- White Hart, New Mill, Fulstone
- White Hart Inn, Shepley
- White Horse Inn, Jackson Bridge