Seth Senior (1799-1873)
Seth Senior was a stone mason, farmer, publican and master brewer.
He was born in Shepley in 1799, the illegitimate child of Elizabeth Senior, and was baptised on 16 June 1799 at St. Nicolas, Cumberworth.
It is believed he married twice and had two children from the first marriage. He married Martha Wood on 25 December 1828 at All Hallows, Almondbury. He had eight known children from his marriages:
- Henry Senior (c.1821-1846)
- Paul Senior (c.1826-1863)
- Jane Senior (1830-?)
- Reuben Senior (1833-1888)
- Guy Senior (c.1836-1898)
- Eliza Senior (1838-?)
- James Senior (1841-1915)
- Elizabeth Senior (1844-)
He began brewing in 1829, reportedly after being loaned a sovereign. His home became the Sovereign Inn and the brewery expanded into Seth Senior and Sons (circa 1865) based at Highfield Brewery, Shepley.
He was also the owner of the Box Ings Colliery, Kirkburton.
On 17 February 1846, Henry Senior was returning from the wedding of his brother-in-law (George Hirst) with his wife Sarah and their friends when the cart they were travelling overturned on Shelley Bank. After they picked themselves up, they found Henry laying motionless by the side of the road and carried him to a nearby toll-bar house, where he "breathed twice heavily" and died. He was buried on 21 February at St. Nicolas.
The 1861 Census recorded him as a "brewer and farmer of 80 acres, coal proprietor, employing 28 men and 10 boys."
Martha Senior died in 1871, aged 70.
Seth Senior died on 27 December 1873, aged 73, and was buried on 31 December at St. Nicolas.
Reuben Senior had suffered his entire life from "a bronchial affection" and regularly "obtained relief from sea voyaging". The weather over the winter 1887/88 was "dull and foggy" and he decided to visit a friend on the Isle of Man. He wrote from Liverpool to say "he thought he had caught a little cold" and died shortly after reaching the Isle of Man.
Notes and References
- The baptismal register entry reads "June 16 Seth Son of Elizabeth Senior or Carr (base)" where "base" means illegitimate.
- Died 23 August 1863.
- Born 5 April 1830. Baptised 8 April 1855 at St. Nicolas, Cumberworth.
- Born 5 April 1833. Baptised 8 April 1855 at St. Nicolas, Cumberworth. Married 31 March 1856 to Mary Tricker. Died 18 January 1888 at the Shakespeare Hotel on the Isle of Man. Estate valued at £70,462 14s. 11d.
- Died 8 December 1898. Estate valued at £111,490 4s. 9d.
- Born 5 October 1838. Baptised 8 April 1855 at St. Nicolas, Cumberworth. Married 4 August 1859 to Edward Roberts at St. Paul, Shepley.
- Born 28 February 1841. Baptised 8 April 1855 at St. Nicolas, Cumberworth. Married 19 April 1882 to Jane Hirst at St. Nicolas. Died 10 February 1915. Estate values at £91,352 14s. 4d.
- Born 22 March 1844. Baptised 8 April 1855 at St. Nicolas, Cumberworth.
- "Death of Mr Reuben Senior" in Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Jan/1888).