Scholes Urban District

The Scholes Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Scholes Local Board.

The district was administered by Scholes Urban District Council which initially comprised nine councillors. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.

The nominations for the first district council were recorded as follows (those marked * were members of the Local Board):[1]

  • Richard Battye (farmer) of Daisy Lee
  • John Bottomley* (farmer) of Larch House
  • Ben Broadhead (power loom tuner) of Scholes
  • Sam Heap (worsted spinner) of Paris
  • Henry Hincliff (flock & waste dealer) of Jackson Bridge
  • William Holmes (weaver) of Paris
  • Benjamin Kaye (grocer) of Paris
  • Charles Lockwood* (manufacturer) of The Royds, New Mill [Chairman of the Local Board]
  • Fred Lockwood (manufacturer) of The Leas, Scholes
  • James Marsden (clogger) of Scholes
  • Benjamin Moorhouse (farmer) of Upperhouse
  • William Mosley (farmer) of Syke House
  • Tom Riley (spinner) of Totties
  • Thomas Stanley (farmer) of Ryecroft
  • James Henry Thorp (manufacturer) of Mear House
  • James Turner (farmer) of Scholes Moor
  • John Wright (cattle dealer) of Scholes

The Scholes Urban District was relatively short-lived and was amalgamated with Fulstone Urban District and Hepworth Urban District to become the New Mill Urban District by the end of 1895.

Notes and References

  1. "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (07/Dec/1894).