Scholes Local Board
Scholes Local Board was the local authority body responsible for issues relating to public health in the former hamlet of Scholes (which was mostly in the township of Wooldale) and was formed following a meeting held at the Boot & Shoe Inn on the evening of Thursday 17 July 1862. The local board initially comprised 9 members.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
The road surveyor of Scholes applied to the Huddersfield magistrates to transfer his accounts "prior to the formation of the Local Board" in January 1863.
Retired woollen manufacturer Charles Lockwood (c.1816-1895) of Moorcroft, Wooldale, served as the Chairman from at least 1890 until his death in January 1895.
Scholes Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and was superseded by the short-lived Scholes Urban District Council, which was then amalgamated with Fulstone and Hepworth urban district councils to become the New Mill Urban District Council by the end of 1895.
Scholes Local Board District
The extent of the district (shaded in green) circa 1890 is shown below, based on the 1892 O.S. map. The bulk of the district lay within the township of Wooldale but also incorporated a portion of the township of Hepworth to the northeast of Boshaw Whams Reservoir (including Wickledon and Wickledon Wood) and around 60 acres of land in the township of Fulstone.
Notes and References
- "Local Government Act of Scholes" in Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Jul/1862).
- "Magistrates in Petty Sessions: Highway Accounts and Rates" in Huddersfield Chronicle (10/Jan/1863).