According to West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to A.D. 1500 (1981), Scholes was described as a township in its own right in 1285 and 1286:
The fragmented pattern of township boundaries within Scholes hamlet, to the extent that adjacent crofts lie in different townships, is probably best explained as resulting from a division of its territory when it ceased to be a separate vill. It is likely that the territory of Scholes was divided between these particular townships because they all lay in the parish of Kirkburton (whereas Holme, Austonley and Upperthong, the other three townships in the graveship, lie in the ancient parish of Almondbury), rather than because they formed an eleventh-century administrative unit based on Cartworth. The date at which Scholes ceased to be a separate township is also unknown. Although Scholes appears as a distinct unit with its constables making presentments at tourns of the manor of Wakefield into the eighteenth century, no evidence has been found to suggest that it has existed as a township in the modern period.
From circa 1862 until 1894, Scholes Local Board acted as the local government body for the hamlet. This was superseded by the short-lived Scholes Urban District Council which was then amalgamated into the newly-formed New Mill Urban District Council at the end of 1895.