Historically it was a township in the Parish of Huddersfield and consisted of scattered farmsteads with a church dedicated St. Bartholomew and an adjoining National School. Pole Moor Baptist Chapel was situated just within the township boundary with Slaithwaite.
According to West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to A.D. 1500 (1981), Scammonden became a township in the mid-1300s and was a separate graveship within the Manor of Wakefield. Prior to that, it appears to have formed part of the Vill of Quarmby along with what later became to the Township of Longwood.
The townships was governed by a Local Board between 1862 and 1894, and then by a Urban District Council. Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Colne Valley Parliamentary Division. Scammonden Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1937 and became part of the new Colne Valley Urban District.
With the passing of the Huddersfield Corporation Act of 1965, Huddersfield Corporation Waterworks commenced a joint project with the Ministry of Transport to construct a reservoir whose embankment formed part of a new motorway.
Work on both the reservoir and the motorway were completed by 1970.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
SCAMMONDEN, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7½ miles (W.) from Huddersfield; containing 972 inhabitants. It comprises 1711a. 13p. The surface is mountainous and wild; on the west is the lofty ridge of Blackstone Edge, and several parts of the chapelry command extensive views over a country abounding with romantic scenery. About 900 acres were inclosed in 1820, and have been brought into profitable cultivation; but many of the hills are still uncultivated, affording only rough pasturage. There are excellent freestone-quarries. The roads from Elland and from Huddersfield to Manchester pass through the chapelry. The chapel was rebuilt in 1813, at a cost of £1000, and is situated on an acclivity, in a romantic dell watered by a small rivulet called Black Brook: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, about £170; patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
SCAMMONDEN, or Dean-Head, a township-chapelry in Huddersfield parish, W.R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile NW of Slaithwaite railway station, and 6 W by S of Huddersfield. It has a post-office under Huddersfield. Acres, 2,080. Real property, £2,202. Pop., 1,012. Houses, 190. The property is much subdivided. Cotton-spinning and some fancy-woollen manufacture are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church was rebuilt in 1865. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
The extent of the township (compiled from early O.S. maps) is shown below.