Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
From the grammar school the old London Road continues its descent towards Rushfield Bridge which it reaches shortly after the junction with Arkenley Lane.
The development of the easier turnpike routes in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries gradually led to the abandonment of the old route and by 1826 both road and bridge had fallen into disuse. About that time there was much unemployment among textile workers and in an effort to provide work to relieve their distress various public schemes were considered, including the widening of what was described as the almost impassable lane leading from Almondbury to Rushfield. In his "Glossary of the Dialect of Almondbury and Huddersfield" the Rev. Alfred Easther gives an account of a meeting, called to discuss the project, which makes it clear that then, as now, the spending of public money gave rise to dissent. The meeting had just approved the sum of £15 to improve Rushfield Bridge when a voice from the floor yelled, "Yo're all a pack o' fooils together, fiftheen paands for Rushfield Brigg — Fifteen shillin's sadly too mitch for that, for t'road lead nowaher but to Nah-wills' at t'wood." "Nah-will at t'wood" was John Nowell who lived in a house called Farnley Wood about a quarter of a mile beyond the bridge. Despite the vehemence of the opposition the proposal was passed and Rushfield Bridge which, according to Easther, was little more then a plank at that time was improved.Unfortunately, it is impossible to see the bridge from the road but the descent to it from both sides must have been very steep and a glance over the right hand parapet will reveal how much the level of the road has been raised since its original construction.