A long mill damn is situated at the south-western end of the site and runs to Hebble Lane.
The mill was built in the late 1830s and was auctioned in August 1838.
It was owned by Messrs. Ramsden, Mellor and Co. during the 1840s. After their lease expired, machinery from the mill was auctioned on 9 April 1851
The next owner was Joseph Hirst of Wilshaw, who also owned a mill at Meltham Mills.
In September 1857, water levels in the mill's boiler fell causing the flue pipes to become red hot. Initially it was feared the boiler might explode and work was suspended at the mill for several days whilst repairs were carried out.
Joseph Hirst and Co. went into voluntary liquidation in 1881, after which the mill was auctioned in January 1882. At that point, the mill was described as:
Consisting of a capital well-built WOOLLEN MILL, 154ft. 6in. by 42ft, and 37ft. in width, six and four storeys high, with Engine and Boiler-house ; WEAVING SHED, 124ft. by 66ft ; WOOL SORTING SHED and DYE WARE STORE under same, 75ft. by 19ft. ; DYEHOUSE, 55ft. by 31ft. 9in. ; WILLEYING PLACE, 58ft. 6in. by 21ft. ; Detached MUNGO STORE, 47ft 6in. by 16ft. 6in., one storey ; MILLING MACHINE-ROOM, 26ft. 6in. by 12ft. 6in., one storey ; OIL and DYE WARE STORES, 41ft. by 16ft., two storeys ; STEAM CHIMNEY, 80yds. high ; GASWORKS and GASOMETER ; Brimstone Stove, Large Yards and Conveniences ; together with the 25 horse-power CONDENSING BEAM ENGINE, by Cole. Marchant, and Co. ; STEAM BOILER, 27ft. long, by 7ft 6in. diameter, by Galloways ; IRON WATER WHEEL, 45ft. diameter, 4ft. wide, with the Shafting, Gearing, Steam, Gas, and WATER PIPING ; also the valuable PURE WATER SUPPLY, with the Goits, Weirs, Reservoir, and Privileges thereto. Newly enlarged MANAGER'S HOUSE, and a COTTAGE near the Mills.
The mill was eventually sold to Jonas Brook and Brothers who "used the mill for storing, dyeing and drying". It was destroyed by fire in October 1885 whilst work was ongoing to modernise the building and to install electric lighting. Damage was initially estimated at up to £40,000, although reportedly the fire did not spread to the single-storey dyeworks building. Some items were salvaged from the mill and sold in January 1886.
The site was advertised for sale in October 1954.
After having stood derelict for many years and becoming a "magnet for illegal parties and drug addicts", the dyeworks were demolished in 2010 after bats that had been rousting there were rehoused.
Developers James Wimpenny Homes of Shepley intend to build around 30 houses on the land.
1906 map showing the location of the mill in red and the mill pond in blue: