This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- also known as: Butchers Arms
- location: Manchester Street, Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
Originally the Butchers Arms public house and recorded as early as 1817. It was later renamed the Royal Oak.
According to Pigot's Commercial Directory for 1818-20, the licencee of the Butchers Arms was Edward Kaye. By 1822, James Horsfall was listed as the licencee.
By the time of the 1881 Census, it was the Royal Oak situated at 40-42 Manchester Street, but was renumbered to 24 Manchester Street by 1891.
The local magistrates gave notice that they intended not to renew the licence and to refer the premises to the Compensation Authority at the 1905 Borough Licensing Sessions.
The Royal Oak Yard was situated behind the beerhouse and led through to Upperhead Row.
- 1881 — beerhouse keeper John Armstrong (33)
- 1891 — beerhouse keeper & plasterer's labourer Patrick Ruane (31)
The location given below is approximate...
Notes and References