Robert Watts Micklethwaite (1819-1888)
Robert Micklethwaite was one of the founding proprietors of the Huddersfield Chronicle newspaper.
He was born on 4 February 1819 in Ripponden, Yorkshire, the son of William and Ann, and was baptised on 26 March 1819 at Stones Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Soyland.
His brother was William Barton Micklethwaite, father of the prominent Canadian photographer Frank William Micklethwaite (1849-1925).
He married twice — firstly to Ann Tetlow in 1840 and then to Margaret Davison in 1876. Ann and Robert had nine known children:
- John Micklethwaite (c.1837-?)
- Albert Micklethwaite (c.1841-1897)
- Clara Barton Micklethwaite (1843-?)
- Frederick Watts Micklethwaite (1845-1908)
- Sarah Dawson Micklethwaite (1849-?)
- Ada Annie Micklethwaite (1851-?)
- Thomas Henry Micklethwaite (1853-1859)
- William Edward Micklethwaite (1856-1921)
- Tom Dudley Firth Micklethwaite (1859-1913)
In 1850, he co-founded the The Huddersfield Chronicle & West Yorkshire Advertiser newspaper in Huddersfield with John James Skyrme. The partnership was dissolved on 31 May 1852, with Micklethwaite later becoming the proprietor of the Wakefield Journal newspaper.
The 1851 Census recorded him residing on Hebble Terrace, Huddersfield, with his wife Ann (née Tetlow?), their five children, and Ann's mother Hannah. The 1861 Census recorded the family residing on Kirkgate, Wakefield, with seven children — Micklethwaite's occupation is recorded as "news paper proprietor and general printer employing 5 men & 8 apprentices.
Robert Micklethwaite died on 12 November 1888 and was buried on 15 November at St. Luke's Church, Milnsbridge.
- Micklethwaites: Robert Watts Micklethwaite by Andy Micklethwaite
Notes and References
- Biographical details kindly supplied by Andy Micklethwaite: https://micklethwaite.one-name.net/micks-data/df-m3675.htm#m1111
- Wikipedia: F. W. Micklethwaite.
- Married Elizabeth Gell.
- Married Samuel Morton in 1867.
- Born 3 October 1845. Married Annie M. Ayres in 1889. Died aged 62.
- Born 1 May 1849. Married Lewis Owen Lewis (Vicar of Lindal in Furness) in 1881.
- Born 21 February 1851. Married Frank Roe in 1883.
- Born 19 May 1863. Died 1859 aged 6.
- Born 31 October 1856. Died 1921 aged 65.
- Born 17 November 1859. Married Emily Aspey in 1884. Died 1913 aged 54.
- "Legal Notices" in Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Jun/1852).