Robert Hugh Haigh (1882-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HAIGH, ROBERT HUGH. Company Sergeant Major. No 241260. 1/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Lockwood 26.11.1882. Son of John and Elizabeth Haigh, 20 Queen Street, Paddock. Educated Paddock Church of England School. Employed as a cloth presser in the finishing department of Messrs Hirst and Mallinson, of Milnsbridge. Married, with two children. At the time of enlistment, was living at 19 Clough Lane, Paddock. Enlisted June 1915. Was twice mentioned in despatches and received a certificate from the General commanding his division for distinguished conduct in the field. Was killed by a bomb from hostile aircraft whilst carrying in wounded to the Etaples Base Hospital on 19.5.1918, aged 36 years. Buried ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 67, Row C, Grave 23.
- ROH:- All Saints Church, Paddock.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Company Serjeant Major ROBERT HUGH HAIGH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, May 19, 1918
- age: 36 years
- record ID: 501714