Robert Herbert (c.1894-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HERBERT, ROBERT. Private. No 5618. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Grimsby. Fourth son of Robert and Elizabeth Herbert, Hey Laithe Farm, Marsden. Employed as a fettler by the Colne Valley Spinning Company Limited, Linthwaite. Enlisted 4.4.1916. Wounded in the right thigh on 3.9.1916. On 13.9.1916, he wrote home stating that his right leg had been amputated. Died of wounds at No 9 General Hospital, Rouen, 15.9.1916, aged 22 years. Buried St. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN. Grave location:- Plot B, Row 21, Grave 46.
- Brother of Private FRED HERBERT reported missing, 3.5.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HERBERT
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Friday, September 15, 1916
- record ID: 515033
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #515033)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #5287398)