This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- location: off Market Street & Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield
- status: partially exists
- category: yard (Old Yards of Huddersfield reference: #46)
The yard is mentioned in several newspaper notices:
- 1865 — two rooms to be let "suitable for a woollen warehouse" in Riley's Yard, Cloth Hall Street
- 1866 — room to be let in Cloth Hall Street "suitable for a woollen cloth warehouse or office", apply to John Crowther & Son of Riley's Yard
- 1870 — partnership of cotton warp dealers Sykes & Giles of Riley's Yard, Cloth Hall Street, dissolved
According to The Old Yards of Huddersfield:
This ran off Market Street between Brook’s Yard and Cloth Hall Street as late as 1917. It probably survives as the old yard behind the Bradford and Bingley Building Society in Cloth Hall Street entered from the small square at the Cloth Hall Street/ Market Street corner. The original entry from Market Street must have been blocked off by either the building now occupied by Wood’s Music Shop or the one occupied by the Abbey National Building Society.
Another yard of the same name existed at Chapel Hill.
Notes and References
- ↑ Huddersfield Chronicle (30/Dec/1865).
- ↑ Huddersfield Chronicle (24/Nov/1866).
- ↑ Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Jun/1870).