Rev. William Le Neve Bower (1851-1935)
He was born on 15 March 1851 in Norwich, Norfolk, the son of James G. Bower and his wife Elizabeth.
He was ordained at York in December 1877.
In 1880, he married Georgina Isabella Rhodes, the oldest daughter of surgeon George Winter Rhodes (1822-1892). They had five known children:
- Francis Le Neve Bower (1882-1942)
- Harold Rhodes Bower (1884-1887)
- Honor Evangeline Bower (1886-1958)
- Arthur James Bower (1888-1942)
- Elizabeth Georgina Bower (1892-?)
He served as an assistant curate at St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield, and as a curate at Huddersfield Parish Church before becoming the third vicar of Holy Trinity, South Crosland, in August 1883 where he remained until retiring in 1932.
Two of his sons, Francis Le Neve Bower and Arthur James Bower, also became vicars.
Georgina Isabella died on 13 December 1924, aged 76.
He died on 22 November 1935 at the Lowestoft and North Suffolk Hospital, aged 84.
Notes and References
- "Ordinations" in Leeds Mercury (22/Dec/1877).
- Born 7 January 1882. Served as a minister in Argentina and Brazil. Died on 28 March 1942 at the Hotel Michelet in Algeria aged 60.
- Born 15 November 1884. Died aged 2.
- Born 31 December 1886. Did not marry and died aged 71 in Sudbury, Suffolk.
- Born 24 July 1888. Served in the 11th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment during First World War. Married Dorothy E. Goulden. Died in London, aged 53.
- Also known as "Elisabeth". Born 1 December 1892. Married 1923 to Thomas Jackson Elliot Sewell.