The Rev. George Coulton was the second incumbent of Holy Trinity, South Crosland, and later served as the Vicar of Helme.
He was born in 1844 in Cartmel, then situated in Lancashire but now in Cumbria, the son of farmer James Coulton and his wife Sarah (née Postlethwaite).
He was educated at St. Aidan's College, Birkenhead, and was ordained a deacon in 1875.
He served as curate to the Rev. George Hough at Holy Trinity, South Crosland, before becoming the incumbent following Hough's death in 1879. The induction service took place on Saturday 12 July 1879.
George Coulton married Elizabeth Bell, daughter of William Bell, on 29 April 1880 at Ryde, Isle of White. They had six children:
- Emily Coulton (1881-?)
- George Hough Coulton (1882-?) — named after the Rev. George Hough
- Agnes Mary Coulton (1884-1962)
- Henry Victor Coulton (1886-1971) — awarded the O.B.E. in 1946
- Charles Postlethwaite Coulton (1890-1939)
- Kathrine Carine Coulton (1893-1960)
He served as the Vicar of Helme from 1883 to 1893 and was ordained a priest in 1887 by the Bishop of Ripon.
His final position was as the Vicar of St. Polycarp's Church, Liverpool, from 1893.
The Rev. George Coulton died in Liverpool on 24 September 1896 after a short illness and was buried two days later at Christ Church, Helme.
His widow Elizabeth was living with her children at Melrose House, 18 Loraine Street, Everton, Lancashire, at the time of the 1901 Census. By 1911, she was living at 13 Hougoumout Avenue, Waterloo, Lancashire.
Notes and References
- ↑ "Induction of the New Vicar of South Crosland" in Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Jul/1879).
- ↑ Born 20 March 1881 and baptised on 29 May by her father at Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Was working as a teaching assistant at the time of the 1901 Census.
- ↑ Born 3 May 1882 and baptised 28 May by his father at Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Served in the Merchant Navy during the First World War. Married 1922 to Margaret P. McChesney in Cheshire. Their son, George Hough Coulton (1926-1995) was born in Algeria and had US Social Security #169282951. Their other known son was James McChesney Coulton (1923-?) who worked as a merchant seaman and seemingly moved to Argentina in 1953.
- ↑ Born 2 August 1884 and baptised on 24 August by her father at Christ Church, Helme. Listed in the 1911 Census as an unmarried hospital nurse (aged 26) at St. Thomas, London. Died a spinster in Wirral, Cheshire, on 5 April 1962, aged 77.
- ↑ Born 20 February 1886 and baptised 20 March by his father at Christ Church, Helme. Had joined the Merchant Navy by 1902. Later served as a ship's captain. Died 29 April 1971 at Cliff House Mariners Park, Wallasey,
- ↑ Baptised 30 March 1890 by his father at Christ Church, Helme. Studied chemistry (1911 Census). Died 22 April 1939 at the Royal Crescent Hospital, Brighton.
- ↑ Baptised 12 March 1893 by her father at Christ Church, Helme. Married 1925 to confectioner Philip Herbert Gallagher. Died 22 May 1960 in Cheshire, aged 67.