The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
Although now in a building dating from 1938, the earliest surviving deeds to the original building date back to 1722, although it is not certain the premises were then an Inn. In 1722 the property was given as a gift by Ann Bottomley to her daughter, Anne, wife of John Horsfall. John Horsfall was definitely an Innkeeper in 1741, being shown as such in the Parish Records when they commenced stating occupations. The house passed to his son William (baptised 19.7.1749) and his name appears as licensee in 1771. The original house was far less in size than the building demolished in 1938 and the deeds consulted cover adjoining property which eventually grew into the main Inn in the township. The previous building consisted of two converted houses facing the road with an adjoining older farmhouse with its gable end to the road, the upper floor of which was one large room. Set further back were stables, barns and brewhouse. In 1803 George Brook was licensee and owner, followed by his widow, Martha, in 1837. In 1845 Henry Brown became licensee and owner. In addition to running the pub both George Brook and Henry Brown were farmers. Henry Brown was also a contractor for the upkeep of the roads, Chairman of the Lockwood Vestry (the local government body of the day) and generally a respected member of local society. The house remained in the Brown family until 1880 when it was taken over by Seth Senior’s of Shepley. A new building was planned in 1936 but the original plan was rejected by Huddersfield Corporation, the design being more fitting for the promenade at Blackpool. The amended design was approved and the present building constructed in 1937/38. In 1966 the successors of Seth Senior (Bass) handed the house over to Allied Breweries as part of a general West Riding exchange deal, bringing the Tetley sign to the building. Due to its original size and position in the town centre, the Red Lion was the focal point for many local meetings and events. In the days of Lockwood’s existence as a separate town, the council met here until the town hall was built in Swan Lane. The Bentley Charity operated from here and it was to the Red Lion that the poor came to receive payment. Before the days of mechanical transport coaches would call and it was from the Red Lion that the town’s first ‘bus (horse drawn) service was operated.