Randal Atkinson (c.1897-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ATKINSON, RANDAL. Gunner. No 117807. 256th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Born Holmfirth. Son of Thomas and Lily Atkinson, Greenhill Bank, New Mill. Worked as a butcher for Councillor Luther Firth of Holmfirth. Married Miss Helena Child, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs W. Child of Wooldale. Enlisted August 1916. Embarked for France in February, 1917. Killed by a shell which killed six other men, 25.4.1917, aged 19 years. Buried in FEUCHY BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row B, Grave 21.
- ROH:- New Mill Working Men's Club; Fulstone War Memorial; commemorated on memorial in St. David's Church, Holmbridge.
- Brother of Private JOHN WHITEHEAD ATKINSON, killed in action, 26.5.1918.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Gunner ATKINSON
- regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
- died: Wednesday, April 25, 1917
- record ID: 532602
- Photos on the Wall: A Short History of New Mill and the Great War (2015) by Tom Ashworth
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #532602)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #97530)