The foundation stone was laid in July 1824, reportedly on a site which "used to be a favourite haunt of mushroom gatherers in the early days of the 19th century". The chapel was opened in December 1925 and cost around £6,500, with £5 18s having been spent on "beer for workmen".
After the church closed in October 1933 — "because of lack of support and financial difficulties" — Huddersfield Corporation purchased the building in order to secure a site for the new library. Demolition work was underway by February 1936 and the foundation stone of the Public Library & Art Gallery was laid on 30 October 1937.
The replacement church for the Ramsden Street congregation was built on the Bracken Hall housing estate between 1939 and 1940 at an estimated cost of £3,400, and opened on 24 August 1940.