There's not much to see here at the moment but we hope to add more details about this topic at a later date :-)
The Ramsden Building was opened by the Huddersfield Technical School and Mechanics' Institute and is situated on Queen Street South, between Milton Church and St Paul's Church.
The architect was Edward Hughes of Lord Street, a protégé of Sir Gilbert Scott who designed a number of buildings in Huddersfield.
In July 1881, the Huddersfield Chronicle reported the following tenders had been accepted for the work:
- mason — Benjamin Graham of Manchester Road (£5,358)
- carpentry — Messrs. Whiteley & Nephew (£3,495)
- slater — Mr. G. Hargreaves of Dewsbury (£450)
- plasterers — Messrs. Turnacliffe and Sons (£432)
- plumber — Mr. G. Garton (£894 15s.)
- ironfounders — Messrs. John Sykes & Sons of Turnbridge (£485)
- painter — Mr. J.H. Stuttard (£120)
- stone carver — Samuel Auty (£260)
To help offset the costs of construction, the Institute held a six-month long Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition in a temporary hall constructed next to the building. Reportedly, the receipts were in excess of £13,000. Both the exhibition and the Ramsden Building were opened on 7 July 1883 by the Duke of Somerset, father-in-law of Sir John William Ramsden, after whom the building was named.
The Ramsden Building is now part of the University of Huddersfield campus and celebrated its 125 anniversary in 2009.
Notes and References