Rake Mill, Lane, Holme
- location: near Lane, Holme
- status: no longer exists
- category: woollen mill
Shown in photographs as a four storey woollen mill, it was marked as "disused" on the 1893 O.S. map. Plans to flood the Rake Dyke Valley to create a new reservoir above Brownhill Reservoir were later abandoned.
The mill was demolished between 1912 and 1914.
At some point around 1915, Holmfirth woollen manufacturer Charles Tinker paid to have a turbine to generate electricity installed at the site of the mill, making use of the mill race as a power source. The Holme Electric Company Ltd., formed by Tinker, provided electricity to the local villagers at an annual cost of 30 shillings per household for three lights.
- Wool and Worsit: A History of Textiles in the Holme Valley (2013) by Michael Day, pages 79-81
Notes and References
- "A Village with its Own Electric Light" in Yorkshire Evening Post (26/Aug/1919).