Railway Times (03/Feb/1866) - Lancashire and Yorkshire

The following is a transcription of a historic article and may contain occasional errors.

LANCASHIRE AND YORKSHIRE.

Although this company is in no degree hurrying itself on to incur debt and acquire damage by undue extension, it is not unobservant of the wants of its district, nor careless in respect to improvements in its system. Accordingly three measures are submitted by the Lancashire and Yorkshire for parliamentary investigation, to the details of which we invite attention.

The first bill is intended to authorise construction of a loop line between Blackburn and Burnley, and also a short branch near Bolton. The first-mentioned project will be 11 miles in length, and the second 1⅓. The new capital called for extends to £841,000 in shares, which may be preferential and redeemable, and £118,600 on mortgage.

The second bill provides for construction of the undermentioned lines and branches:—

  1. A railway (2 miles 4 furlongs 4 chains in length), to be called the Brighouse branch, commencing in Birstal, in the West Riding, by a junction with the Lancashire and Yorkshire, and terminating at or near to Robin Hood Mill, on the Clifton Common Lane, in Dewsbury.
  2. A railway (3 miles 5 furlongs 1 chain in length), to be called the Huddersfield branch, commencing in the parish of Halifax, by a junction with the Lancashire and Yorkshire near Elland station, and terminating by a junction with the London and North Western, near to the passenger station in Huddersfield, belonging jointly to these two companies.
  3. A railway (3 miles 5 furlongs 4 chains in length), to be called the Clayton West branch, commencing in Kirkburton, by a junction with the Huddersfield and Penistone line of the Lancashire and Yorkshire, and terminating in the parish of High Hoyland, at or near Clayton West, a little beyond Scot Hill.
  4. A railway (2 furlongs 3 chains in length), being a short junction, wholly situate in Horbury, commencing by a junction with the main line of the Lancashire and Yorkshire, and terminating by a junction with its Barnsley branch.
  5. A railway (1 mile 1 furlong 3 chains in length), being a short connection line (No. 1), commencing in Owston by a junction with the Askern branch, and terminating by a junction with the West Riding and Grimsby.
  6. A railway (1 mile 5 furlongs 9 chains in length), being a short connection line (No. 2), commencing in Burghwallis by a junction with the last-described line in a field called "Joan Croft," and terminating by a junction with the Doncaster and Thorne line of the South Yorkshire in Barnby-upon-Don.

Power is also taken in this measure to widen the Halifax branch, to construct a new street in Huddersfield, and to acquire additional lands for station and other purposes. The new capital consists of £549,000 in shares and £183,000 by loan. Sections 25 and 26 provide for use of a portion of the London and North Western in these terms :—

"The company and all other companies lawfully using the Lancashire and Yorkshire may run over and use with their engines, carriages, and waggons, and with their clerks, officers, and servants, the portion of railway hereinafter mentioned, together with the sidings, platforms, buildings, offices, watering places, warehouses, and other conveniences upon or connected with the said portion of railway — namely, so much of the railway of the London and North Western as lies between the junction therewith of the Huddersfield branch by this act authorised and the joint station at Huddersfield belonging to the company and the London and North Western.
"The terms, conditions, and regulations to which the company and all such other companies as aforesaid shall be subject in respect of the said use, and the tolls or other compensation to be paid by them for the some, shall, if not agreed upon between them and the London and North Western, be from time to time determined by an arbitrator to be appointed by the Board of Trade on the application of either party."

The third bill relates to extension of time in the completion of the works authorised by acts of 1861 and 1862, the privilege being sought of delaying the opening of these lines, without incurrence of penalty, till 30th June 1870. Additional lands are also required in the townships of Pendleton, Kearsley, Furnworth, West Houghton, and other places, so that the company is under the necessity of calling for new capital amounting to £600,000 in shares and £200,000 by borrowing.

The liabilities to be incurred by sanction of these measures involve construction of 25 miles of railway, creation of £1,490,000 in shares, and issuing of mortgage bonds to the extent of £490,000, to all of which the Lancashire and Yorkshire is fully equal as well as deservedly entitled.

Railway Times (03/Feb/1866) - Lancashire and Yorkshire

Categories

Articles about the Clayton West Branch Line | Articles about the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company | Articles from 1866 | Articles from the 1860s | Journal articles
This page was last modified on 12 November 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed