Railway Hotel, Honley

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Sawyers Arms, The Railway
  • location: Lockwood's Row, junction of Woodhead Road & Station Road, Honley
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

Originally opened prior to 1856 as the Sawyers Arms beerhouse by sawyer Thomas Stocks. It was likely renamed the Railway Hotel following the licence transfer to David Dodson in the 1870s.

Dodson unsuccessfully applied for a full innkeeper's licence at the Brewster Sessions of 1879. Allen Chambers was similarly unsuccessful at the Brewster Sessions of 1903.

A publican's licence was issued on 7 March 1961.

The premises was closed prior to 2014.

Licensees and Landlords

  • Thomas Stocks
  • by 1879 — David Dodson
  • 21 December 1897 — Mary Mitchell
  • 20 December 1898 — Allen Chambers
  • 1 December 1908 — Abel Bower
  • 6 February 1912 — Harry Sims
  • 6 April 1915 — Tom Wimpenny
  • 1 October 1946 — John Brook Barker
  • July 1956 — Ernest James Gill
  • 4 February 1958 — John Richard Albert Gill
  • 3 May 1960 — (...?) Longley
  • 1 January 1974 — Steven Whiteley

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::geograph 1925096:::

Location

Links