Quarmby (hamlet)

The hamlet of Quarmby was one of the two hamlets within the township of Lindley-cum-Quarmby, the other being Lindley. The hamlet was part of the Manor of Wakefield, apart from a small portion that was in the Honour of Pontefract.

The O.S. map of circa 1850 shows that the hamlet had three detached portions, two of which were inside Lindley and the other a small portion outside.

Situated within the hamlet were the habitations of Birchencliffe (in the larger detached portion), Oakes, Royds Hall, Quarmby, and Salendine Nook.

According to West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to A.D. 1500 (1981), the earlier Township of Quarmby was once much larger and contained the land which later became the township of Longwood and possibly also part of Scammonden.


The boundaries of the two hamlets (as marked on the 1854 O.S. map) are shown below, together with the adjoining hamlets and townships:

Hamlets in Lindley-cum-Quarmby (c.1850).svg

The boundary of the hamlet of Quarmby (compiled from the 1854 Ordnance Survey map) is shown below in red, with the remainder of the township of Lindley (which was the hamlet of Lindley) shaded in green.