Primrose Hill Cricket Club
The club's second annual "Athletic Sports and Gala" was held on 10 July 1886 and "proceedings were enlivened at intervals [...] by the Honley Brass Band". The club had advertised that there would be a donkey race, but unfortunately "only one donkey put in an appearance [...] much to the disappointment of those who anticipated witnessing a humorous event". Amongst the events which took place were:
- 100 yard races — under 16s race, open race, and members-only race
- 2 mile bicycle race — won by J.A. Gledhill of Heckmondwicke
- bowling and throwing at cricket wickets
- 220 yards flat race — won by F. Bentley of Scholes
- obstacle race — won by T.W. Eastwood of Wyke
- 440 yards flat race — won by W. Blackburn of Slaithwaite
- vocal quartet contest — won by Lindley Harmonic Quartet Party
Several members of the club were killed during the First World War:
The club closed in 2008.
Notes and References
- The club's sixth annual concert was held in November 1884.
- "Primrose Hill Cricket Club Athletic Sports and Gala" in Huddersfield Chronicle (12/Jul/1886).