Priestroyd Iron Works, Huddersfield

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: corner of Firth Street & Queen Street South, Huddersfield
  • status: still exists
  • category: works
  • notes: built 1835 and extended 1869, also known as Priestroyd Mills

Companies Linked to this Location

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 21-Mar-1977
  • listing entry number 1289646

FIRTH STREET (North Side). Priestroyd Mills. 1835 and 1869. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched slate roof. Block on corner of Firth Street and Queen Street South 1869. Five storeys to Firth Street, four to Queen Street South. Modillion eaves cornice. Coped gable ends on kneelers. Fourteen ranges of industrial windows to Queen Street South, seventeen to Firth Street. Chief feature is impressive chateau-like tower at the corner, of irregular plan, its acute angle blunted: one storey higher than rest and crowned by steep pitched tiled roof, with gabled lucarnes near top, and elaborate cast iron cresting near apex. Near base is ashlar plaque, inscribed "Priestroyd Mills 1869". Block to east, along Firth Street frontage presumably 1835. One storey. Coped gable ends. Fifteen round-arched windows with vermiculated voussoirs and plain continuous imposts. Three windows at west end have mezzanine floor. Chimney (to north of 1835 block) has octagonal red brick stack. Gates (at east end of 1835 block) have twp cast iron depressed arches, one broad, one very narrow with "Priestroyd Iron Works 1835" in relief. Gates appear to be slightly later: elaborate pattern, ornamental finials.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::geograph 702137:::geograph 3577097:::geograph 1775357:::geograph 6618070:::

Location