Prickleden Mill, Holmfirth

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Upper Mill, Farrar's Upper Mill
  • location: Holmfirth
  • status: partially exists
  • category: woollen mill
  • notes: marked as "disused" on 1906 map

Holmfirth Flood of 1852

Extract from The Holmfirth Flood (1910):

Next on the route of the stream comes Upper Mill, then occupied by Mr. John Farrar. Here the flood washed into the mill, did serious damage to the engine, and swept nearly all of the dyehouse away, together with a great amount of mungo or “ devil’s dust.” One of the boilers was carried away, calculated to weigh 6 tons, and this was swept down by the flood to Berry Brow, fully four miles from its original position. On the day previous to the flood Mr. Farrar had drawn about £700, which he deposited in the counting house of the mill, and this sum was swept away by the waters. The damage was estimated at about £3,000.

Location