Poor Law Union Offices, Queen Street South, Huddersfield

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: corner of Queen Street South & Ramsden Street, Huddersfield
  • status: no longer exists
  • architect: John Kirk & Sons
  • category: municipal building

The cornerstone of the Huddersfield Poor Law Union Offices was laid on 4 April 1879 by James Wrigley, chairman of the Huddersfield Board of Guardians. The building was designed by local architects John Kirk & Sons and built by Moorehouse & Co. of Meltham. It had a frontage of 100 feet on Queen Street South and 61½ feet on Ramsden Street, and a enclosed yard accessed via Back Ramsden Street.[1] The building was officially opened on 30 July 1880.[2]

The building was later used by Huddersfield Corporation and was demolished in the early 1960s as part of the redevelopment of the area.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::book 10884,165:::

Location

Notes and References

  1. For a detailed description of the building, see "The New Poor-Law Offices" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (05/Apr/1879).
  2. "Opening of the New Poor Law Offices" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (31/Jul/1880).