Reportedly the Earl of Dartmouth would not consent to them building chapel in Slaithwaite, so the early Baptists in the area built their first chapel in 1790 at Pole Moor on the Scammonden side of the boundary with Slaithwaite. An adjoining Sunday School was added during the ministry of the Rev. H.W. Holmes (1829 to 1874). The chapel was rebuilt by 1859 at a cost of £1,800.
POLE GATE. Pole Moor. Pole Moor Baptist Church, Sunday School and adjoining house. Present chapel reported to have been built in 1859 though datestone reads 1838. Chapel, Sunday School and residence. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Rusticated quoins. Tie rods and plates. Pitched stone slate roof. Coped gables. Squared and moulded footstones on paired carved consoles. Stone brackets to south elevation. Two storeys and basement. Ground floor: East gable: eight steps lead up from setted courtyard to large central doorway with fanlight and panelled doors with ashlar surrounds and ashlar semi-circular head. Round engaged columns with Ionic capitals, support architrave and cornice. To either side is a single window with moulded ashlar surround, cornice and pronounced sill on two small square brackets. First floor: central 3-light window with moulded ashlar surround, architrave and pediment and pronounced sill. To either side is single window with moulded ashlar surround, and pronounced sill on two small square brackets. Above first floor windows is ashlar string course. Plaque in apex of gable reads: "POLE MOOR Particular Baptist Chapel Erected in the year of our Lord 1838 The Hill of Sion Yields a thousand sacred sweets." North & south elevations: Ground floor: five single lights with pronounced sill (no surround). First floor: five single lights with pronounced sill and segmental arched head (ashlar). Sunday School, to west, has entrance and seven single lights to ground floor and seven lights with pronounced sill to first floor. Dwellings to west end have entrance in modern porch, and one 3-light stone mullioned window to first and second floors. Adjoining building is late C19 warehouse of two storeys. History: Chapel founded in 1788 as daughter of Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel.