Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841: Penistone
The following section is reproduced from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.
Penistone with the Villages of Thurlestone, Ingbirthworth and Neighbourhoods
Penistone is a small market town, township and parish, in the wapentake of Staincross, West Riding ; 177 miles from London, 15 south from Wakefield, 13 south-east from Huddersfield, the like distance north-west from Sheffield, and 8 south-west from Barnsley ; situated on the southern bank of the river Don. Woollen cloth is manufactured in the neighbourhood, but not to much extent ; and the general trade of the place is of a very confined nature. A quarry near the town, the property of Messrs. Brown and Rusby, produces stone of a very superior quality, which is sent to London and other parts of the kingdom. The land around Penistone is fertile, and from some parts of the parish the views are highly pleasing. The church, dedicated to Saint John, is a handsome structure : the benefice is a vicarage, in the presentation of Alexander Bosville, Esq. ; the present incumbent is the Rev. Thomas King, B.A., and his curate the Rev. Samuel Sunderland, B.A. There are places of worship for independents, Wesleyan methodists and the society of friends ; and two endowed schools. In this parish was born the celebrated blind mathematician, Dr. Nicholas Sanderson, who, although deprived of sight in his infancy, became a profound scholar and perfect master of the dead languages! The market, principally for cattle, is held on Thursday. The parish contained, in 1831, 5,201 inhabitants, of which number about 700 were returned for the township.
One mile north-west from Penistone, in that parish, is the village and township of Thurlestone, in which woollen cloth is manufactured by several establishments. — The population amounts to about 1,600.
Two miles west from Penistone, and likewise in that parish, is Ingbirchworth village and township, containing a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists, erected in 1829, and a population (according to a recent estimate) of about 400.
View other pages from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.