The following section is reproduced from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.
Mirfield and Neighbourhood
Mirfield is a village and parish in the wapentake of Agbrigg and honour of Pontefract, West Riding, three miles west from Dewsbury : pleasantly situated in a fertile, opulent and respectable neighbourhood. It is one of the seats of the woollen manufacture ; a great quantity of malt is also made in the parish, and there are several corn-mills. Its name is supposed to be derived from Moor-field or Mire-field, probably at one time corresponding with its situation upon a moor or morass. The river Calder runs through the middle of the parish, Mirfield being on its north and Hopton on its southern bank. Up to the year 1261 Mirfield formed a part of the Saxon parish of Dewsbury, from which it was separated at the intercession of the lady of Sir John Heton with the Pope ; this lady, going to mass before dawn on Christmas Day, to the parish church (of Dewsbury), was waylaid and robbed, and her principal attendant murdered, at a place called Ravensbrook-layne ; Sir John was at Rome at the time of this outrage, and, entering into the feelings of his lady, induced the Pope to sanction the erection of a chapel at Mire-field, which, in process of time, became the parish church. This ancient edifice, which contains some interesting monuments, is dedicated to St. Mary ; some years since it received the addition of about five hundred sittings, of which nearly three hundred are free : the living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of Sir G. Armitage, Bart. In 1840 a new church was opened; the expense of its erection was defrayed partly by subscription, and partly by the church commissioners — the site having been munificently given by Benjamin Wilson, Esq. There art places of worship for the primitive and new connexion of methodists, and a national school. The population of the parish of Mirfield, in 1831, amounted to 6,496.
View other pages from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.