The following section is reproduced from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.
Meltham and Neighbourhood
Meltham is a village in the parish of Almondbury, and upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding, five miles south-west from Huddersfield, situate on the new road between that town and Manchester, and surrounded by hills. Many mills here are employed in the manufacture of woollen cloth, the greater proportion of which is taken for sale to the Huddersfield market : there are, also, mills for cotton spinning, the manufacture of sewing cotton, and for silk throwing ; an iron foundry ; and fulling mills, dye works and collieries. The church, dedicated to Saint Bartholomew, was considerably enlarged in 1835, when the present tower was erected, and furnished with a peal of six musical bells and an excellent clock : the living is a curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Almondbury ; the Rev. Joseph Hughes is the present curate. At the village of Meltham Mills is a handsome gothic church and school, erected in 1838 by J. Brook, Esq., and intended for the use of his numerous workpeople ; the Rev. D. Meredith is the minister. In Meltham there is a chapel each for baptists and Wesleyan methodists. A free school was built by subscription in 1823, and in 1835 another was constructed under the north wing of the church. The population, in 1831, was 2,746.
View other pages from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.