Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841: Kirkheaton, Dalton, Emley, Lepton, Flockton and Neighbourhoods
The following section is reproduced from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.
Kirk-Heaton, Dalton, Emley, Lepton, Flockton and Neighbourhoods
Kirk-Heaton is a populous township and parish in the upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding, nearly three miles north-east from Huddersfield. The manufacture of fancy goods, chiefly woollen fabrics, and woollen cloths, prevails here to some extent. The places of worship are the parish church, an ancient edifice, dedicated to Saint John ; and three chapels for methodists. The benefice is a rectory, in the patronage of the Rev. M. Alderson, near Rotherham ; the present incumbent is the Rev. Christopher Alderson, and his curate the Rev. George Alston. In the cemetery of the church is a neat monument, erected by subscriptions, to record the awful loss of life from a fire which broke out in Mr. Atkinson's factory, at Colne Bridge, on the 14th of February, 1818, by which seventeen children fell victims to the flames. In the same church-yard is a large yew tree, measuring in girth twenty feet nine inches ; and its antiquity is stated to be traced to the remote period of eight hundred years back. Richard Henry Beaumont, Esq., of Whitley Hall, is lord of the manor. The parish contained, in 1831, upwards of 10,000 inhabitants, and the township about 3,000.
One mile from Kirk-Heaton, in that parish, is the township of Dalton. The manufactures here are of the same nature as those of Kirk-Heaton. The Swedenborgians have a place of worship in this township, which contains upwards of 3,000 inhabitants.
Lepton is likewise a populous township, in the same parish as Dalton, about three miles and a half east by south from Huddersfield. In addition to manufactories for woollen cloths and fancy goods, several scribbling and fulling mills are dispersed throughout the township and its vicinity. Its population is upwards of 3,300.
Emley is a village and parish in the same wapentake and riding as Kirk-Heaton, about 8 miles from Huddersfield. This an agricultural parish, and contains no manufactures. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, and a chapel each for Wesleyan and primitive methodists : the benefice of Emley is a rectory, in the presentation of the Earl of Scarborough ; the Rev. Robert Pym is the incumbent. Two fairs are held here — one on the 25th March, the other on the 29th September, for cattle, earthenware, &c. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,445 inhabitants.
Flockton is a chapelry and village in the parish of Thornhill, in the same wapentake and riding as Kirk- Heaton ; the village is situated 7 miles east-south-east from Huddersfield. In this chapelry, and the neighbouring township of Shitlington, are extensive coal mines. The places of worship are a chapel of ease to Thornhill parish, and one for independents. The population of the chapelry amounts to about 1,000.
View other pages from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.