Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841: Golcar, Longwood, Milnsbridge and Neighbourhoods
The following section is reproduced from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.
Golcar, Longwood, Milns-Bridge and Neighbourhoods
Golcar is a populous township in the parish of Huddersfield, extending from about two to five miles west from that town. The manufacture of coarse woollen cloths, chiefly for the Huddersfield market, is carried on here to a great extent ; and finer cloths are also made, with which some of the inhabitants travel through different parts of the country. In the production of these articles a very considerable power from water and steam is employed — there being in motion, in the two townships of Golcar and Longwood, twelve water wheels, of the united power of one hundred and seventy horses, and three steam engines, equal to the exertion of fifty-seven horses. In Golcar a church was erected, in 1829, from the fund placed at the disposal of the commissioners appointed by parliament for the erection of additional churches : it is dedicated to St. John ; the living is in the presentation of the vicar of Huddersfield. There are two free schools, erected by subscription in 1816 ; and one upon the national plan, opened in 1831. The township of Golcar contained, by the returns for 1831, 3,143 inhabitants.
Longwood is a chapelry in the same parish as Golcar, approaching to within about a mile and a quarter of Huddersfield, and extending to about four miles and a half north-west from it. The manufactures are of the same nature as those existing in Golcar. The places of worship here are a chapel of ease, subject to Huddersfield, and a meeting-house for dissenters. A free school was founded and endowed in Longwood by William Walker, in 1731, for the education of children of both sexes who are taught reading, writing, and some of the necessary rules in arithmetic. About two miles from Huddersfield, near the main road leading to Manchester, is the village of Milns-Bridge, where are several woollen cloth manufactories, and scribbling mills, that are worked by water and steam power. The population of Longwood chapelry, at the census of 1831, exceeded 2,000 persons.
View other pages from Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841.